Top 8 Books of 2018

It's time to say goodbye to 2018. It was a year for the books for me. I had a lot of things I loved about it and a lot of things I could have done without in a way. I know that every piece of the journey got me where I am today including the books! I did four different reading challenges and finished all but one of them. I still read 98 books in 2018, and my goal was to read 75 books. I feel great about that accomplishment.



Here are my top 8 books for this year!

This year I'm actually going to do them in the order of my favorites. This year was pretty cut and dry on which books were my favorite and which books I was glad to see come to an end.

And let us start with my least favorite of my top 8:

The Neverland Wars - It made the top eight, but the bottom of the top eight. My best friend A Pop Of Jess was reading this and she told me it was supposed to be like Peter Pan. Well, the thing is, it's exactly like Peter Pan only modern and the grownups acknowledge the magic. It's a wild and crazy trilogy series. I found myself unable to stop reading it once I was sucked into it. Though, my best friend and I realized that if you haven't seen Peter Pan or read the actual Peter Pan book, this isn't going to make a whole lot of sense to you.

Let Me Be the One - Wow, this book blew my mind. It was a really long book for starters. I wasn't expecting that. I thought it was going to be a quick young adult read, slightly trashy life goes on kind of book. No, this book did things to my emotions. I couldn't decide what characters I was rooting for until the end. I was shocked by how amazing this book really was, and how it felt so real. I had a hard time deciding between this title and Dick Van Dyke's book being second to last. I'm not sure I made the right decision but I'm sticking with it.

My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business - Back in 2015 I decided I wanted to read Julie Andrew's memoir. Her was interesting, but she decided to end the book right as Walt Disney was offering her the Mary Poppins movie. I was bummed. I decided to read Dick Van Dyke's book here. It was funny and not entirely shocking. I actually thought it to be one of the more interesting life I have heard of and I like to learn about celebrities. This one wasn't exactly scandalous.


Alex and Eliza - This book. Wow! I love good historical fiction. This book is worth the hype. Especially if you love Hamilton. I was shocked at the accuracy of facts in this fictional type book. I loved every second of this book and was never bored by any parts of it. I even went on to read the second book in the series which wasn't as interesting as the first one, but I will be reading the third installment this year.


The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to Happy Living - I was first introduced to this concept through a podcast and the group of the podcast on Facebook. I was intrigued by the idea that the group talked about. Once I realized the idea of it, I wanted further teaching on this subject. I love this book. It goes into detail what exactly Hygge is and how to achieve it and how other people have achieved it. If you like to be comfortable and cozy this book is for you!


Real Murders - I was introduced to this series because of the television series based on it. I never watched the show but it sounded like a lot of fun. I LOVED THIS BOOK! It really kept me guessing until a certain point LATE in the book. I didn't throw this book, but it shocked me. I did have a little bit of a hard time since this book was written in the early nineties and the characters were using payphones in the middle of the murder. It was just funny to me.


The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter - I wasn't sure about this book, to begin with, but here it is number two on my list for the year. If you like Stalking Jack the Ripper, you will love this book. This book was amazing. It has a very interesting story intertwined with some old tales we are all fond of at Halloween. It's Victorian and quite honestly funny and haunting at the same time. I loved the characters and how they came together. Also, if you like Fantastic Beast and Where to Find them this book is also for you. I know that's a strange combination of Stalking Jack the Ripper and Fantastic Beast, but it's truly the best way to describe this book!

100 Days to Brave: Devotions for Unlocking Your Most Courageous Self - And here it is number one on the list. This book saved me. It helped through one of the hardest times of my life. I started the challenge with my best friend, Jessica. From Memorial Day in May to Labor Day in September, there are 100 days, exactly. We did it! We cried. We had our guts punched with hard truths. We loved the changes we made because of this book. We grew closer to each other and closer to God through this book. I was glad I took this challenge. If Annie ever reads this, thank you for writing this book. It's truly amazing.

Here's to some fantastic reads in 2019. Books that will take me places and books that will shape me.

No comments