16 Tips for Work Self-Care

Hey everyone! Let's talk about something that has been plaguing me for a while now. How do you have some self-care at work? Sure it is easy to put on a face mask and hop in the tub at home, but I don't think they would appreciate me hopping in the sink at work with goop on my face.



Tired of feeling stiff, grumpy, and exasperated at work? I was too.

After last year of having an absolutely horrible time at work, I vowed I would handle work differently. And having self-care at work starts with my office! This won't make everything better at work. Honestly, while prepping my office and my mind for better self-care I had coworkers make fun of me. But, I've realized it's because they are unhappy too.



  1. Clean Your Workspace - I have an entire room to myself now at work! And when this happened I royally cleaned my office. I moved furniture dusted, vacuumed, swiffered the walls, picture frames, and door frames. I also polished the windows and pictures. Polished off the furniture. I have a couch in my office and I vacuumed it.
  2. Declutter - I literally put everything in a big pile on my desk. I emptied out everything, shelves, drawers, organizers, etc. I went through things. I realized there were some things I was holding onto because old coworkers had given them to me. I was able to put a lot of things into a basket and let my current coworkers go through the bucket. Other things were just trashed.
  3. Theme - Some people may not be able to do this. But, I decided on a theme for my office. I have a London office space. I have two gigantic pictures of the London Bridge and one of the phonebooths. I also decorate seasonally as well. If I'm going to be somewhere for 8 hours then I am going to enjoy it!
  4. Proper organization and tools - Having the right tools can make your day or break you! Seriously, neck pain from having to turn weird to look at your screen? A major health issue. Puffy feet from sitting? Get a little stool to rest your feet on? Get a good chair that supports your back! Get a monitor stand so that you can look at your monitor safely. Proper lighting! Things that you reach for all the time need to be where you can get to them in an organized way. Also, a paper sorter!
  5. Practice hygge at work - Just because you are at work doesn't mean you cannot be comfortable! Wear clothing that feels good (a whole post coming on this later), but what about where you sit? What you look at? I have a pillow in my chair now. I also keep some seasonal pillows for my couch. I keep fake plants in my office. I have tried several times for real ones, but we have gnats at work that like to kill the plants, especially succulents!
  6. Essential Oils - I am a huge believer in essential oils now. I use it to make the office smell good or for health reasons. I have been known to use the essential oil blends to protect from getting sick, to relieve stress, purify the room, and cool off the room.
  7. Music - Most recommend relaxing at music at work. Some prefer spiritual music. Me? I listen to whatever I want to for whatever I'm feeling. I can go from Disney park music to Avenged Sevenfold, to Glenn Miller. (Yes, a wide range of music lover here!) My point is to listen to the music that motivates you for whatever project you are working on, and if you have to buy some headphones!!
  8. Reading Material - Sometimes, I need a break. A break from people. And I have to remind myself that because I like to turn to social media? Who posts stuff to social media? People. Having some kind of motivation book or quick journal book really helps me.
  9. Lumosity - I have a routine in the morning when I get to work: I start by unloading my stuff, clocking in and finishing up my breakfast. I like to make my to-do list while reading my in-app Bible devotionals. Then I start on Lumosity to really just start my brain! It helps get my brain firing and ready for work.
  10. Water - I have had to learn to love water. It's not easy and I'm still struggling. I have found Stur which is a water enhancement that is made with stevia. I also like to have some fresh herbs, fruits, and cucumber on hand to placing in my water to drink.
  11. Healthy Snacks - Hangry is a real thing that can really affect your work situation. I have been learning to keep healthy snacks at my desk to help give me a boost before lunch or after lunch depending on what day. If you want to see what that looks like I'll get that into a post for you.

  12. Don't Take Things Personally - Learning to let things go or not taking them personally is a huge difference in self-care. It's not easy to just let things roll, and I am still stumbling with this. Also, mind your own business. That helps you and others enjoy their day.
  13. Desk Exercises/Walk - Now, I know it's hard for some people to this, but getting up for your chair is so important to your health. I like to have some ideas for chair exercises. And then I am good about getting up and stretching. I've also been known to go walk around our building to get out of my office if I need to change my scenery.
  14. Practice Gratitude - This is probably my favorite new thing that I've implemented for me. I have a tiny planner that I make sure that I write down 5 things about WORK that I'm thankful for. Sometimes it's really hard. (And usually at least one is about my lunch.) But this has made me focus on the positives of my day no matter how bad it's been.

  15. Rewarding Rituals - I love thinking about having some divine tea in the mornings or the afternoons and then treating myself to some after a hard project. I also love the thoughts of getting up and stretching. I love picking out the essential combination for the day.

  16. Self Care Kit - Touch, Taste, Sight, Sound, Smell. I do hope to have a post on this very soon!

These are the things that have really changed how work is going for me! I hope at least one of these helps you!


No comments