21 Days of Prayer and Fasting

Hey everyone! We are already toward the end of this month! I cannot believe it! I've actually had an amazing month! Even with a health scare and some crummy moments at work, it has been a great month! Today is about the last twenty days of prayer and fasting.



You may struggle with certain problems, issues, and sinful habits until you die, but this doesn't mean you resign yourself to staying where you are - not when you're following the God of the Impossible. - Chris Hodges

Attending the Church of the Highlands is a blessing and a lot of fun! Seriously! We have free coffee, free Bibles, free Bracelets, and lots of praying going on! Yes, we have two periods of time where we fast and pray in the year. This is is our first of 2020! So, let me take you on my 21 Days of Prayer and Fasting!

Since most people have health issues that prevent them from fasting food these days there are different things you can fast. But, it needs to be through something that God can talk to you through. And this year I found it! In the past, I've given up Netflix and God talked me through that as well. This year I gave up Facebook with the exception of posting my blog posts, checking on James Spann during the tornadoes (even though it only loaded for me once!), checking about a friend that had passed during the fast and posting one thing from my memories. That's it, I haven't been on Facebook. My best friend and one other friend gave up Facebook and we learned a lot!

Breaking the fast was not an easy decision at any of those times. I felt guilty except maybe during the tornadoes because my kids were in the state where the tornadoes were and I was not! I just prayed the times I needed to break it for different reasons. Posting blogs was easy on Facebook because I don't have a feed for my page. Facebook for pages just shows what you've posted on your page so that was okay. It did, however, let me know that I have 99+ notifications waiting for me when Sunday morning comes!

Why did I give up Facebook? And what did I do? Well, the reason I gave up Facebook is I can get lost into it by checking on people I shouldn't, watching ridiculous videos, and just wasting time in general with it. When I would feel the urge to go check Facebook I would pray instead.

We also have a daily video you can watch or you can go in person to the services to pray. I didn't make it in person a single time, but I watched several of the videos! I have to admit I really enjoyed the 25 minutes of prayer and quiet time. Yes, praying for a solid 25 minutes is hard!!! Sure it seems pretty simple to pray for 25 minutes in theory, but I can ask a full sentence in 3 seconds! (Thanks Voxer, for helping me know that!) So, it really helps to have a list in front of you.

Thankfully, the Church of the Highlands is awesome and they give you resources!

What I have learned from fasting Facebook? That there are certain things I really do use it for that are good. Keeping up with loved ones, close friends, and sharing about the good in my life are some of the things. Learning things in groups, connecting with people through groups, and creating things through groups is another thing. Also, I learned that Facebook can take up a lot of my time. I also learned that Facebook hinders my productivity. I do not think I would be so caught up with all of my blogging if I hadn't given up Facebook!


For Lent season the best friend and I have talked about scaling back all social media time. That's going to be our main thing. She wants to work on going out to eat fast food (not restaurants) and I want to work on better oral hygiene care (including flossing!!!) But, we are still praying about that!

And I look forward to August first when we do 21 Days of Prayer and Fasting again! It will be the fall semester for us to pray over and have some goals in mind. Is there anything I can pray about for you?

No comments