How to Make a Welcome Bag for Your First Time Guest

Hey everyone! I'm glad you are here! I love guests. Okay, so I may groan sometimes when my doorbell rings, but that's usually late at night or like way too early in the morning. But, I really try to make all guests feel welcome. And since there are teenagers in the house there are lots of first-time guests now. Which is why I have made Welcome Bags!



Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. - 1 Peter 4: 8-9



Ah, yes there are the college kids coming in the door now. Who knows they may be bringing in some new friends. But, I'm now prepared for meeting Bigs from their sororities, or dorm mates. I have learned over the years to be more hospitable with my house, and it took a lot for that to happen. This is just a simple way to greet each person in our home and make them feel welcome. Plus, it helps them remember us either has the way overfriendly family, or the family that gave them something they didn't realize they needed to keep in their car or bag.

Here are the small things that go inside a paper bag that I have our little ones decorate for everyone.

  1. Start with your basic paper bags. I get mine from Amazon. I like to use white bags since we use them for crafting also in our homeschooling.
  2. We add a small tiny welcome note and include the verse above from 1 Peter. We like to spread the light of Christ. We like to think that we are also spreading the message that we are a very accepting family. No matter what race, orientation, religion that you are, you're welcome in our home! 
  3. Lip Balm with SPF - I like to get some chapstick with SPF in it since most people forget about getting that in a chapstick. If I see some lip balm where I'm shopping that is cheaper or of better value, I'll pick it up.
  4. Hand sanitizer - I like to get a known brand for this. I want something that I know is going to kill germs. I do like to get Purell for this since even hospitals use this brand.
  5. Crackers, Cookies & Gummies - I like to do Annie's snacks since you never what allergies anyone has. So, far this has been a huge hit! 
  6. Single-Use Drink Mix - There are multiple varieties for this. We have been using Kool-Aid for our welcome bags. 
  7. Bottle Water - I like giving them water and a packet of flavoring because then they have the option of water or not. 
  8. Notepad/Pen - I know this one is kind of dorky. But, I like to give this out. Sometimes, the people that come into our house have strong emotions. I find that writing things down can help. Making lists can help. And sometimes having paper in your car is just handy.
  9. $5 Gift Card to Chickfila - We love Chickfila in our house and we like gifts that keep on giving! 
We are working on a welcome to the neighborhood basket. So, come back in the future for that blog post. 


No comments