20 Nonfiction Books for 2020

Who doesn't love a good challenge? Well, for me it depends. As I tell my best friend all the time, "I know my limits." But this year I am making my own challenge for myself. I want to read more nonfiction. I'm more of a self-help or Christian nonfiction genre.


“Each of us is a book waiting to be written, and that book, if written, results in a person explained.”
― Thomas M. Cirignano, The Constant Outsider

It wasn't easy coming up with 20 Nonfiction books even with me being in a book club (I didn't even add all the nonfiction from my book club list!) I am also going to annotate and let you know which books I am rereading. I will mark those books with (*) and give some reasons why I'm reading this certain book listed.





1. Looking for Lovely - Annie F. Downs - I'm so excited to read this book and do the Bible study with my best friend! I love anything, Annie F. Downs!

2. The Ride of A Lifetime - Robert Iger - It was a gift I received at Christmas! I'm excited to read this book since I love Disney World! I want to read more books

3. Remember God - Annie F. Downs - I'm so excited to read this one from Annie. I've heard so many people say that this is the most real that any author ever gets in the Christian world. And, that, that is what I look for in Christian mentors.

4. The Simplified Life* - Emily Ley - I do like to go back over this book from time to time. She has so many nuggets information.

5. Grace Not Perfection* - Emily Ley - I like rereading this just for the reminder in my life that not everything has to be perfect.

6. When Less Becomes More* - Emily Ley - I may have read this too fast the first time. I want to take a slower time with it next time!


7. The Story - Randy Frazee - I'm hesitant to add this book to the list because it's the Bible (nonfiction) written like a fiction book. But, I really want to read it!

8. The Fringe Hours - Jessica Turner - This is a suggestion from Emily Ley and I have had it on my shelf for a while now. I want to read it this year!

9. The Fitting Room - Kelly Minter - I want to read more things by Kelly Minter and this book sounded like fun!

10. The Next Right Thing - Emily Freeman - Oh how excited I am to read this book! I love her podcast and this book came with so many extras since I preordered it.

11. Just Open the Door - Jen Schmidt - I've been wanting to get into more things from (in)courage and this is perfect. I want to learn better hospitality!

12. 100 Days to Brave* - Annie F. Downs - This book saved me two years ago! It brought life to me! It made believe that I could do anything with God and I have kept a lot of her words of wisdom moving forward.



13. Rhythms of Renewal - Rebekah Lyons - I had started following her right before this book came out! I love the little family that she has! I adore a lot of the teachings that she has!

14. Bread and Wine - Shauna Niequist - I love books on building a community around a table! And I love Shauna's devotional so I'm excited to read some of her other books.

15. Present Over Perfect - Shauna Niequist - I want to be more present in my life. Rather letting all the things of the world get to me.

16. Boundaries - Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend - This book that I need because I do not make boundaries well. Especially while I'm at work people think that they are going to walk all over me. That ends this year.


17. Open Book - Jessica Simpson - This one has no significance to me except that everyone is loving it when they read it. I did grow up while she was very popular.

18. Big Magic - Elizabeth Gilbert - This cover spoke to me the first time I saw it! But then when people get to know or I take book questionnaires this is the book that almost always comes up! So this is the year to read it!

19. Atomic Habits - James Clear - This book has been recommended to me so many times that I have lost count! It sounds so good too! I cannot wait to read this!

20. Cold Tangerines - Shauna Niequist - Another book from Shauna is the last on the list. I'm excited to read this book that is supposed to have different stories.


What nonfiction books do you recommend?

No comments