Receiving Gifts: 5 Love Languages

When you hear someone's love language is receiving gifts, most people think it's bad. It's my number one and I promise that this love language can be just as cheap as the other love languages. There is nothing wrong with loving small tokens from people.



Every birthday is a gift.
Every day is a gift.
- Aretha Franklin

When learning of your results to the 5 Love Languages quiz some people feel ashamed of their answers. I'm not ashamed of mine. I remember when I first took the quiz, The 5 Love Languages - My Take. Since then I have retaken the test and mine are very different than that first time.  I was pretty shocked by the turn events, but it makes sense because we go through different experiences. Especially life-changing ones.


What do I mean by that? Vincent retook his quiz on what his 5 Love Languages are. When we first took this test 4 years ago his worst concern was his thyroid, which grew to be Lupus. And now his acts of service is a lot more now. So make sure you update yours I'd say between 2-4 years. And don't be upset if yours doesn't change, you are just set in your ways.

So what should someone do to talk my love language of receiving gifts?

1. Someone could bestow on me an experience. It doesn't have to be a trip, it could be all day passes to somewhere, tickets to something. I love making memories this way. So give me a gift that gives again! So many people are obsessed with giving a physical item, but experiences are so much more. Most of the time you get to see the receipt light up twice! Once when receiving the gift and again when they do whatever experience you give them!

2. A little letter. As you can see my third one is Words of Affirmation so I love notes and encouragements too. Plus, I truly love comments on my stuff on Facebook, not for attention but knowing someone took the second out of their day to respond to me. To me that's huge! Time is a gift that I try not to take advantage of and realizing that people use their time to respond to me.

3. Something handmade is a wonderful gift. This day and age a handmade gift is rare. But I mean the true handmade gifts. I miss getting mixed CDs. I love picture frames with glued on glitter macaroni or styrofoam fake cactuses. I just loved anything from the heart.

4. Either a photo book or a photo session. I love stalking people's pictures in their home or on their Instagram. I love seeing those moments frozen forever captured. And I'd love it if someone took all of my photos and put them into picture books for each year. It would be an amazing gift! Or if you don't want to do the work, give someone the gift card to do just that! Or sign them up for family portraits in a natural environment.

5. A cookbook; either one you love or one you made yourself. This list is one made of things that I feel truly keeps on giving. And this is no exception. They can create their own meals or special treats. It's fun to give someone a new hobby that you enjoy! And if you don't enjoy cooking, give them something of your hobby that you enjoy!

But what about on a daily basis?

1. A sticky note of love somewhere that I will see it. Or send me an email.

2. Buying me my favorite soft drink or buying me some Chickfila.

3. Picking flowers or buying flowers.

4. I'm totally weird but buy some so weird toy. I love Playdough as a stress reliever. I love bubbles to just laugh and move and be silly.

5. Their time. Like I said above having their time is a very precious gift. I guess that's why I'm realizing that quality time is a gift as well.

What's your love language? Do you believe that all relationships are built on this? Have you read the book?

No comments