They Want to Grow Up

While my computer is working I do want to do this post. This is a subject that is very dear to me. It's what this month is all about for many people. This month is Childhood cancer awareness. Last year I did a weekly post promoting "Going Gold" for the month of September.

Gone Gold in September
Stay Golden... Girls!
Stay Golden ... Characters!
Stay Golden... Quotes
Stay Golden... Episodes

Every year I get mean looks because I am not all about the pink come October. Pink is my favorite color, but why isn't there gold in September? Are breast loved more than children? I know many will roll their eyes at the statement I just made, but think of this we don't give our children adult Tylenol for fear of bad reactions, yet doctors do not have the funding to come up with new medicines for children to have that option when it comes to chemo.

Before you start in on about donating to other charities; I do that too. I have a list from my Fresh Start Challenge: Fresh Start Challenge Day 3: Change a Heart Change the World. I have a love to change the world. That's why I so desperately want to change the kind of funding that Childhood cancer receives.

While there is some funding towards Childhood Cancer, the number is not high enough. Childhood cancer research is vastly and consistently underfunded. In 20 years the FDA has initially approved only two drugs for any childhood cancer – 1/2 of all chemotherapies used for children’s cancers are over 25 years old. Research and development for new drugs from pharmaceutical companies comprises 60% of funding for adult cancer drugs and close to zero for childhood cancers. In dollar terms, NCI’s funding for pediatric clinical trials is $26.4 million while funding for AIDS research is $254 million, and breast cancer is $584 million. Pharmaceutical companies don’t commit resources to childhood cancer research because the adult cancer drug business is viewed as more profitable and less risky to them.

Did that happen to open your mind some? While we are spending almost 600 million dollars on breasts, which I get can kill you, however, for a little human being that is suffering we are only spending 27 million dollars. This upsets me so much, and it should upset you too.

Going back to talking about the child taking that adult chemo/medicine because people don't want to take the risk or because it won't make the money, how fair is that? Sure it may cure the child, do you know what the results are? It's my little brother's vision being reduced considerably. It's my little brother losing his hearing at the age of 7 and having to wear hearing aids the rest of his life. because the medicine destroyed his body while trying to save it.

Someone asked me the other day why is my brother alive when other kids are dying? Because my brother is on a clinical trial drug. One of those "risky" projects and we want my brother to live. This has given him that. This has given him and us the hope that he will live to see the life that God wants him to live.

But it's not just my brother I want to promote today. There are several kids that are fighting for their lives that I pray for daily. Take the time to visit their Facebook pages and leave comments of encouragement and prayers. It will mean the world to them.

Project Team Jonny
Faith, Hope, Love, Natalie
Prayers for Liliana
A Princess With a Purpose ~ fundraising, leukemia fighting little princess

These families need support. They need to know that people care. Reach out! Maybe there is someone in your community that you know. Speak up for them. Help out! But most of all remember;


No comments