Blogmas Day 14: Advent Week Two

Hey, everyone, I hope you've had a wonderful weekend so far! We have had a busy but meaningful weekend. And the third week of Advent is upon us, but this past week has been all about love and angels!




Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill towards men. - Luke 2:14


First, let me say that this year has really gotten me to thinking. The sacrifice that was made. God sent part of himself to die for us. This form of him could feel pain like we feel pain. The excruciating pain that Jesus went through for us. For all of us, no matter, race, social status, gender, or even the sinner. God didn't come for the perfect people. He came to us for us. Those of us who do believe need to show His love. Shine with his glory!

She Reads Truth advent has taken me to thinking about what exactly the Christmas story means to me. Yes, I adore the glittery, shiny, and twinkling sparkle of Christmas. I adore bows and branches adore with trinkets hanging from a wire hook or shiny piece of thread. But, this year I've learned that sometimes you have to sit back. Be a kid with your kid that's the memories they will remember. Not ripping open presents.

A dear coworker of mine shared a picture of a Christmas morning when she was little. The excitement, joy, and the surprise is written all over her face in this picture. It really does shine and I know her mom was so smiling too at the emotions. But, the weird part? Neither of them remembers this if it wasn't for the picture and my coworker doesn't even remember the gift. What she does remember from the same year is dunking pretzels into white chocolate with her mother, and placing home fudge in tins to give to her cousin.

I'm not saying some presents aren't treasured. That's not true. I'm just saying make them meaningful gifts. Not just the things they want. It hasn't been too long ago that my mother surprised me with a lighted full-size mirror. I adore it and still use it.

And this is the part of the post where I cry. Oh the wall next to me is old Christmas cards. Some are actually 10 years old now. Some I know are older than 5 years. Three of these cards are very special to me. Used to growing up I looked forward to these cards not because they were beautiful, but because there was money inside. Now I'd love another one of these cards just to have freshly written ink inside. These three cards are from my grandmother who has been gone for four years now. I treasure those cards like nothing before. I even thought I had lost one that still has its envelope and I cried so hard when I found it again. I was wracked with emotions that day at work. Don't get caught up in the shiny, flashy, and latest. Sometimes small gifts, with real true love behind them, is enough.

For the kids this week it's been all about love as stated above. They have been learning about the family, census, their own families and creating memories. It was wonderful this weekend making cookies to give as gifts. We are going to love giving them to the mail service people as they delivery the goodies to our home. We also set up a station for FedEx, UPS, and any other people delivering wonderful gifts for the Christmas season!

My challenge as we go into the week of joy, to figure out how to share joy, love, and hope. It's really easy.


No comments