Blogmas Day 22: New Stocking Tradition and Nativity Tray

Hey everyone! It's almost Christmas Day! I'm excited and bummed! But, this year we are doing some new traditions this year. They are two traditions that I am pulling from a book you'll hear a lot about in the new year called Simple Abundance.


"When we were children we were grateful to those who filled our stockings at Christmas time. Why are we not grateful to God for filling our stockings with legs?"  - Gilbert K. Chesterton



New Christmas Stocking Tradition

We are doing two different stockings this year. One that Santa fills that they can open on Christmas morning with the rest of their presents. And one of the stockings is filled with goodies from the family that they can open with their new pajamas that night.
We are doing the family stocking Victorian style;

  • Something to eat
  • Something to read
  • Something to play with
  • Something they need

We had thought about doing this for presents, but that's not as much fun for us. Plus, we like having this for our kids on Christmas Eve. I think it will be fun for us to try this year for something new.

I have actually been doing the next tradition on my own for a few years now. It's called the Nativity Tray.

"Legend has it that on the night of the Nativity, whosever venture out into the great snows bearing a succulent bone for a lost and lamenting hound, a wisp of hay for a shivering horse, a warm cloak for a stranded wayfarer, a garland of bright berries for one who has worn chains, a dish of crumbs for all huddled birds who thought their song was dead, a sweetmeats for the little children who peer from lonely windows-- whosever prepares this simple abundant tray 'shall be proffered and return gifts of such an astonishment as will rival the hues of peacock and the harmonies of heaven." Simple Abundance pg 572

I bought a basket for this purpose to put these things in this year. I'm not planning on having all the kids to help me. Actually, just the older ones are the ones I want to help. I'll place a bone from the Christmas ham that is already sliced on the basket. I'll get down some of the Fancy Feast cat food and open it and play it down. We keep hay for the dogs in the winter and I'll wrap some up for the basket. I have dug through the closets and have found two coats-- One adults and one child's coat. A string of cranberries not put on the tree outside make it to the basket. A dish of fresh bread crumbs and some yarn are placed in there as well. Then sunflower seeds, acorns, and walnuts are added as well. And last but not least I add some sugarplums and candy canes. I am planning on making two of these baskets. One for the outside of our gated community and one for a parking lot near us. I cannot wait to see how these are loved and used.

No comments