Book It: The Paris Wife


Book Title: 



Author:


Paula McLain

Publisher:


Turtleback; Reprint edition (November 27, 2012) 

Date Started Reading:


April 10, 2015

Date Finished Reading:


April 12, 2015

Type of Book:


Book based on a true story; Historical Fiction

Recommended by:


This book wasn't exactly recommended. I went looking for a book based on a true story for my PopSugar 2015 Reading Challenge and I stumbled across this.

I received this book from/at:


I checked this book out from our local library. 

Pages:


I had the library binding so it was 150 pages for me.

My Interest is this book was/is:


My first interesting in this book was that it was set during a time period I am fascinated by because of the clothing and their ways. My interest in it now after reading it is that Hemingway's works makes a lot more sense to me now. In the past I would often wonder how or why things were written the way they were, and this explains some of Hemingway's.

Ideas expressed/message/plot:


There are many ideas or messages expressed in this book. True love is always there with you. If you love someone enough you can let them go. People do crazy things when they are in love. 

As for the plot I love how it shows their lives. How each person the couple interacted with made an impact on their lives. How much their lives changed over time and how even though they were famous not everything was perfect or how they wanted it.

Favorite characters, quotes/lines:


“Happiness is so awfully complicated, but freedom isn't. You're either tied down or you're not.” 


When I finished this book I felt:


The feelings that hit me after this book was ones that I were not expecting from this book. I felt anger towards Hemingway. But, then at the same time I felt like I had made peace with his writings. My mind reeled with thoughts of living the life back then and realizing even then times haven't changed much, not really. 

Deciding that this book had a profound effect on me, I bought my own copy of it for my personal library. I may want to explore Hadley's feelings again. Exploring how she dealt with things of that nature of that time.

Other books to read by this Author or theme:







I would recommend this book (to):


A person that loves the 1920s, someone who loves historical fiction, and someone who wants to understand Hemingway.

Other comments:

It is the touching and heartbreaking story of the love affair and marriage of literature’s original “bad boy” Ernest Hemingway and his first wife, Hadley Richardson Hemingway. Following a whirlwind courtship and wedding , the deeply in love couple sail to Paris where they become the golden couple in a lively and volatile group that includes Gertrude Stein, Ezra Pound and F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald.





No comments